Friday, October 12, 2018

Idioms, Verbs, Unreal Conditionals, & Vocabulary


Idiom Review 5
All ears
Give you a hand
Head start
Learned them by heart
See eye to eye
Sweet tooth
Pulling my leg
Get it off your chest


Conversation 1
A         Can we talk?
B         Sure!  I’m _________________.
A         I think you should vote for Denise for President!
B         What?  Are you __________________?
A         No.  I’m serious.
B         I’m sorry; I can’t. Let’s not talk about it anymore because we don’t
            _____________________ about this.

Conversation 2
A         What do you want for dinner?
B         How about a chocolate cake?  Or apple pie?  Or strawberry ice cream?
A         I said dinner, not dessert.
B         I can’t help it!  I have a big __________________!

Conversation 3
A         Where is Kevin?
B         We’ll meet him in the park.  I gave him a ________________ because he walks
            so slowly.
 
 Conversation 4
A         What’s the past tense of hang?
B         Hung.
A         Do you know all the irregular verbs?
B         Yes!  I ________________________.

Conversation 5
A         You look worried.
B         I am.
A         What about?  Come on!  ____________________________.

Conversation 6

A         Are you busy tomorrow afternoon?
B         No, Why?
A         I was wondering if you could help me move.
B         Sure.  I’ll _________________________



Week Eight Verbs
Simple Present Tense
Past Tense
Participle
Hear
Heard
heard
Hurt
Hurt
Hurt
Hide
Hid
Hidden
Hold
Held
Held
Hit
Hit
hit



WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAD A LOT OF MONEY?
1.         If I had a lot of money, I wouldn’t loan any to my friend.  I would give her some.
2.         If I had a lot of money, I wouldn’t need to borrow any from my friends.
3.        If I had a lot of money, I would refuse to loan money to a family member.
4.         If I had a lot of money, I couldn’t refuse to loan money to a family member.
5.         If you had a lot of money, you could quit your job.
6.         If you had a lot of money, you could start (open) your own business. (unreal condition)
7.         If you have a lot of money, you can open your own business.  (present tense: a fact.)
8.         If a family member gambled a lot, I would refuse to loan them money.
9.         If I were poor, I might refuse to loan money to a family member.
10.       If I didn’t need a large sum of money, I wouldn’t take out a loan for a large sum of               
            money from a bank.
11.       If I wanted to buy a house, I would take out a loan for a large sum of money from a bank.
12.      If you quit your job, you would need to look for another one.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOUR FRIEND HAD A LOT OF MONEY?
13.      If my friend had a lot of money, I would ask her to loan me money.
14.       If my friend had a lot of money, I wouldn’t ask her to loan me money.
15.      My friend has a lot of money, but I won’t ask to borrow any.
16.       Even though my friend has a lot of money, I won’t ask to borrow any.

Have you read down this far?  Excellent!  Here's what words we'll practice on Monday.  Do you know all the definitions?


1,        identity theft
2.         balance
3.         overdraft
4.         china
5.         forbid
6.         awkward
7.         make clear
8.         awkward
9.         keep track of
10.       orphan
11.       Let’s face it
12.       to come into money
13.       keep track of
14.       to pay back
15.       Maiden name
16.       computer hack

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment